Tuesday 12 July 2011

Stewpid Downing...

...or not. Who can blame him really? He has never hidden his desire to go to Liverpool and with things taking a turn for the better at Anfield after the arrival of Dog-leash, I won't be calling for his neck should(when) he leave(s). I may however be crying into a beer. He arrived at Villa injured and slowly started edging his way into the team but he has certainly made an impression and become a firm favourite at Villa Park. Downing isn't a hugely exciting player. There are no tricks, it is never over the top or particularly gripping and he is far too heavily reliant on his left foot. But he is consistent and had formed a good partnership with Young. Bents arrival showed off Downings work and he won Player Of The Season last year. I was asked a lot this year if I would be sad about Young leaving. 'Yes' I would reply thoughtfully, 'Of course. He can cross like an angel on his day and it would be rude to dismiss the work he has done at Villa.' But essentially Young hasn't been at his best for a couple of seasons now and you could see him straining to leave. And his diving was becoming infuriating. And good luck to him but Downing was the one I wanted to keep. Now, it is rumoured he will be having his medical at Liverpool in 48 hours. The only problem is Villa are being quite stubborn and holding out for £20m. To get £40m for 2 players would be fantastic for business but I think it is such an overvaluation (is this a word? I don't know but I like it!)

Chest Bounce

No comments:

Post a Comment